Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Invitation Only

Today the President of the United States is coming to Savannah. His plane is to land at Hunter Air force Base and then he will travel to Savannah Technical College where I will be one of a couple of hundred people who will hear him deliver a speech on job creation.

It is an invitation only audience and I am curious as to who all will be there. I learned Sunday afternoon that I was invited. No doubt the crowd will be filled with politicians, media, and Chamber of Commerce members. Probably some clergy.

I am mindful that these years at Union Mission have certainly cost me a great deal, but I have also been rewarded a lot. Being invited to be in the same room with the President is certainly something that gives me pause.

Union Mission is a large company that just happens to produce human capital rather than the monetary type. It has a multi-million dollar budget and hundreds of employees, volunteers and supporters. At some point during the last year I have noticed how accepted we have become in the business community. I suspect that today's invitation came about, at least in part, because of this.

So I am interested in job stimulus. The Employment & Training Center and the Starfish Cafe are Union Mission's efforts to help in this category. Of course, I'm humbled to be included. But I understand that I will be representing all of those who never receive invitations to much anything. And I will do my best to represent them well.

No comments:

Post a Comment