Monday, November 23, 2009

Reaction Time

Last week's posts generated a lot of interest, especially Friday's when I tried to end a frustrating week by putting it into perspective. Three people gave that one a thumbs-up on my Face Book page. While they didn't comment and they represent literally all walks of life, the focus on having a friend to talk things through with, finding progress when it seems that none is being made, and realizing that someone else always has it tougher than you, hit a note with them.

Then Kathryn Preston, Executive Director of the Georgia Coalition to End Homelessness, wrote back that she had recently been through a similar situation and made changes. I assume that she changed her staff and she ended by pronouncing that "things are so much easier now."

Former homeless person and current friend Howard Jackson responded directly to the blogsite (www.socialsolutionsinc.blogspot.com or www.unionmissioninc.blogspot.com) and encouraged me to read something that he had posted on his blog. He ended by offering encouragement and told me to rely on the Big Man. I'm sure that he meant God who can just as easily be a woman or whatever else the Big One chooses to be.

My friend Bob Colvin also chimed in saying that I'm still doing the good work and that we need to catch up. Bob and I were part of a partnership that help develop the respite care movement in national health care and significantly enhanced Chatham County's ability to care for the uninsured.

I find that all of this makes for a nice way to slide into a Monday that is full of planning meetings. Last week's expressions of frustration led to expressions of affirmation and encouragement. It's hard not to feel good when you know that people support what you are doing. So it's time to dive in now. I don't want to disappoint my friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment