Tuesday, November 17, 2009

A Special Day

Well, to be honest I think that everyday is special. This morning, my run took me to the beach for the first time in several days. The tide was high, the sky blue, the sun was a bright yellow ball, and the breeze had a tinge of coolness to it. Another day had just been born. At some point, most every morning, I have this thought. Another day has been given to me. It is mine to make the best of.

No matter how much I may have screwed up yesterday, or regardless if I failed to take advantage of it at all, or it was as perfect as it could have been, the gift of a new day is refreshing. I think part of the reason that I am a morning person is that I really enjoy the newness of each day. The dew on the ground. The rising sun dancing with the fleeing moon. And every day is the opportunity to start again.

Still, some days are more special than others. Today is Julie's birthday. It is a special day for her and certainly a special one for me. We've tried to celebrate this occasion for the past several days beginning with Chelsea making her a birthday cake over the weekend. This was followed by an extra family day in Athens complete with the Goddess. Friends have noted the birthday too with greetings, cupcakes, and signs. Face Book greetings have been numerous and from everywhere. Tonight we will celebrate dinner with friends at a new restaurant in Savannah.

And as I was running this morning, basking in the birth of a new day filled with all of its opportunities, I thanked God for a special day years ago when Julie was born. Then I said thanks for this day to celebrate. Happy Birthday Julie!

No comments:

Post a Comment