Friday, June 11, 2010

Charles in Charge

The main thing on my mind right now is Charles, my mentally ill-former bank robber-six feet tall, African-American adopted son. He is Union Mission's janitor and has been a constant in my life for more than a decade. I am his representative payee and Joy and I manage his money and needs. Through most of the staff give him presents of candy, coffee, and cigarettes. Charles wanders in and out of everyone's day, barely speaking because he is too busy talking to himself.

He came to us on parole and when that ended the officer told me that this was the most stable that Charles has ever been. So a shelter became a home and he became a janitor. He is forever wanting me to allow him to go to Augusta where he last remembers being with his family. And I've let him on a couple of occasions. He always brings me a copy of the Augusta newspaper to prove that it was actually Augusta that he went to.

Anyway, he loves me and I love him. He counts the days when I am away from the office and gets visably excited when I return. He brings me presents of coins that he has gotten and will sometimes just wander in and tell me something about his past. He is forever asking me questions like "Who do you think was worse, Nazi's or Barbarians?"

So a big piece of the stability of Charles' life is changing. I will no longer be a constant presence in his life. Joy and I have to figure out how to tell him that I will longer be there. And we will have to figure out how his affairs are going to be managed. And I pray that the relationships that he has with her and the others are enough to keep him from wandering off. The world was not kind to Charles before he came to us and I shutter to think of what it would do to him now.

So there is a lot to figure out. Everyday when I would leave my office for some destination, I would look at him and say, "Charles, you're in charge while I'm gone." And he would smile and wave a finger from the hand that was normally resting on top of his head.

So my dear, dear friend who I love as much as I love anybody, this time I am afraid that you are really going to be in charge.

No comments:

Post a Comment