Monday, June 7, 2010

When Worlds Collide

"OK, it's $60 a couple," Paul announced as we finished our dinner at an outside table in the Village.

I threw the money on the table when Conner looked at me and said, "You're not a couple." Half of the money came back to me.

And I looked at the three other couples that I was with, good friends all, and recognized that as usual Conner was right. I was alone.

Well, kind of. I had my I-phone with me and was carrying on a conversation back home during the course of the dinner when Conner decided that he would leave the dinner conversation with our friends and join in on the one that I was having by texting. So he grabbed the phone out of my hands and jumped on in.

Typical Conner.

And suddenly my worlds were colliding. Savannah and St. Martin were one in the same for a moment anyway. And friends that I love were introducing themselves to one another. And I was pleased.

If I have learned anything over the past several months it is the magic that friends can bring to a life that was been disrupted and damaged. They make healing happen. They restore love. They bring the dead back to life.

Each of the friends that I was with have been to Tybee to visit me. And I have visited each of their homes. And they are curious and protective of me and the things that are going in my life. When I am interested in talking to someone by texting during dinner, they want to be included. Because good friends care.

So Conner has made a date to talk with a friend of mine from back home. And I think that friendship begats friendship. And love begats love. And God knows what is going to happen next. But I love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment