Tuesday, February 2, 2010

The Gifts Around Us

Rinnie Painter died yesterday. Rinnie was in his 70s, had a pony-tail and an ear ring that dangled from his left earlobe. Years ago he had retired from Savannah Electric where he had climbed poles to repair the wires. Over the past ten years he would climb my palm trees and trim them. I hope that I can do that when I'm in my seventies.

Rinnie shared my aversion to clothes in true beach bum fashion, though he was more committed than I am. He rarely wore a shirt, even in the dead of winter. He would walk his little Jack Terrier dog up and down 12th Street on the marsh side several times each day. As I walked Goddess, we would stop and chat. Rinnie was always stirred up about something. National politics. Tybee politics. He would immediately launch into whatever it was he was stirred up about.

There were several times when he would show up at my house wanting to talk about how Union Mission might be able to help someone that he was concerned about. Rinnie could talk so when he came by I mostly listened and struggled to get a word in edgewise in counsel.

A couple of days ago I was walking Goddess and there was Rinnie's little Jack Terrier dog running up to us. The dog wore no lease and obviously had gotten out. I mentioned this to Julie and we both wondered if Rinnie was alright. Then I learned over the weekend that he was in Hospice. Then Johnny O called me yesterday to tell me that Rinnie had died.

I liked Rinnie. He was a true Tybee character! And it has left me mindful that none of us know how long we have one another in our lives. There are periods when we are together with friends or co-workers or significant others and it is intense and it seems as though we will always be together. It is rare that such relationships transcends the span of our lives. It happens, but mostly people come and people go as we live our lives.

So this morning I am mindful of all of those who have been there for me in the past. I would not have arrived at this moment without them. I am grateful for all of those who hold me dear right now. I shudder to think what life would be like without them. I say prayers of thanks for those whom I love and know that I love them completely. I look forward to new friends in the future. These are the gifts that are all around us and as Rinnie has moved on to whatever is next, I know that his passing makes me appreciate them more than ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment