Friday, February 12, 2010

Time Out

I am supposed to be in the air flying back to Savannah from Pittsburgh right now but my flight has been canceled so I am sitting in the hotel coffee shop watching it snow. Pittsburgh didn't cancel my flight. Atlanta did. The weather gods have alleged that snow is coming to Savannah and Pat Prokopf is beside himself with glee.

So I have a day to myself. I am watching it flurry here and there is 30 inches already on the ground so I will spend the day walking in a winter wonderland. I can't get that damn song out of my head.

I am here because the Board of Directors of the International Street Medicine Institute met yesterday. About half of the Board participated via conference call because their flights were canceled. Everyone else made it out except me. But this evening I am having dinner with Dr. Jim Withers, founder of the Street Medicine Institute, and Dr. Suzanne Adkins, who seems to do a little bit of everything, and they are good friends and evidently a hot tub will be involved.

Sometimes, life calls "Time Out!" Today is a time out day. I had plans and a lot of things to do but last night my flight was canceled and Delta couldn't offer any viable options so here I sit.

I suppose that Life knows when you need it. Or you get lucky. Or God intervenes. Who knows? But work has been intense and my personal life has been intense and Goddess took to eating her bed the other night and now here I sit in time out.

My friend Herb McKenzie keeps telling me to live "one day at a time" and I keep thinking about my friends in A.A. when he does. And I suppose I have been living life one day at a time, just getting through them. Time out gives you the opportunity to step outside of your day and really reflect. Watching it flurry on top of trees already draped in snow is a good reflecting environment. So I suppose that I am sitting here for a reason. And I suppose that I should thank life, or luck, or Delta, or God for calling "time out" and giving me this day.

No comments:

Post a Comment