Monday, February 8, 2010

Hearts Ashore

Running the beach every day I have witnessed a lot of stuff that washes ashore. Boats with holes in them. Lobster traps. Bottles, clothing, seaweed, dead fish, and shells galore. The ocean throws out those things that it chooses not to keep.

Yesterday, I made my way beside the sea on a six mile run. Just passed the Pier I saw some pink, oval shaped, sponges that lay discarded on the sand. They looked like hearts that had been lost or thrown away.

This gave me pause and I thought about all of the people who have lost their hearts that I have met in my career. Every day at Union Mission they arrive with holes in their chest where their hearts used to be. Their eyes are hollow and stare back at you with no emotion. Their hand shakes are limp and empty. They are surviving but not living.

So we go to work trying to encourage them and challenge them and love them back to a life that is worth living. The hardest part if helping them find their hearts again and putting them back in.

No comments:

Post a Comment