Tuesday, February 23, 2010

It's Just Another Day

"How was your day?" my mother asked when I called her.

It gave me pause. I used to come home and the first conversation that I had was describe the things that had transpired in my day. Now I come home and take Goddess for a long walk. If I talk, it is to her, or to myself, or to the wind.

"It was just like yesterday," I finally replied. "All of my days are the same."

"I understand that," Mom quickly said. She lost my Dad this past summer and has spent the last six months learning how to live alone. She has good friends who pop in and out of her days, but she has come to relish her alone time.

We talked a long time. After we hung up, I took Goddess for another walk. Then I watched my new DVD of the Cotton Patch Gospel and it made me laugh and tear up just like it did all of those years ago when it first came out. Jubilation indeed. Then, exhausted, I feel asleep.

When I made my way this morning to the beach on my run, I was surprised to see that it is going to be a nice day. The sun burst out above some low hanging clouds and the ocean sparkled with dancing diamonds that seemed to stretch forever. The sky is a brilliant blue. The weather warm. My sweat came quickly and all of the sins of yesterday made their way out of my body.

I have always been a morning person. Nights are not so kind to me. And I love the fact that each new day is the opportunity to start all over again. No matter how screwed up we were the day before, the rising sun offers new chances.

Back home, I take Goddess for her first walk of the day. She jumps up on her hind legs in joy and paws me as I gear her up. She is enjoying herself so much that I take her for an extra long one though I know that this will throw my day behind an already impossible schedule.

Back home, I notice the sun shinning through the trees casting streams of light that have small particles and fog dancing inside of them. I strip and get inside of my outdoor shower. I note that in February I am able to do this and am thankful. I take my time and as the water blast the sweat away I can't stop watching the dancing streams of sunlight through the trees. All of nature seems to be dancing this morning.

So now, it is just another day. Or, is it? I'll see. At least I have the chance to start again. At least I have the chance to join in the dance.

No comments:

Post a Comment