Monday, February 1, 2010

Running on Empty

An angry wind blows across and angry ocean and bites right through the layers that I am wearing. Water wells in my eyes and a deep sigh makes it way out from somewhere deep inside of me. I run against the wind.

The sky is a grey blue. The sand a deep gray from where the high tides blanketed it during the night. Sea foam blows across the beach in front of me as though it seems it is running from the ocean that made it. It rolls and with each turn it loses a little of itself until it disappears entirely.

There is no one else on the beach. For miles I only see the hues of gray and the white sea foam blowing. No morning walkers. No lovers holding hands. No children playing at the shoreline. Only me. Alone on an empty beach.

This is a day that matches where I am. Emptiness can ache.

To make matters worse, it is Monday. I have things to do. People are relying on me to be there for them but I feel that I am going through the motions somehow. Still you have to do the things that you are supposed to do.

I can't help but think that this is what many of my homeless friends must feel like every day. Discarded by the ones who once loved them or they are fleeing from someone or something, they arrive and they sit waiting to be seen. They look lost. There eyes are empty. I can see them ache.

So that is the reality of this day. Some days there are no great insights or revelations from the heavens. Some days are just days to get through doing the best that you can. So I start with a prayer that the wind will blow all of the emptiness away.

No comments:

Post a Comment