Saturday, January 30, 2010

Soulshine

The rain is coming down like tears from heaven. God is tearful over everything that is broken in the world. At least that is the way that I choose to ponder the day.

I am sitting in front of the computer in the red room of our home. There are 13 windows in this room and I am looking at the extremely high tide that is covering the marsh. This is not water front property, but you can see down the street passed the 3 homes that separate the house from the marsh.

The rain lightened up just enough to take Goddess for a walk. She loves mud puddles more than she loves most things and dances through each and every one, occasionally sticking her head into it and lapping water as she walks. She will then turn her head towards me and I swear this dog can smile. She is laying at my feet while I listen to the Allman Brothers, type, and stare at the ocean covering the marsh.

These are special times on Tybee. When the tides are high they remind us that the ocean can pretty much take over the island anytime that it wants. Right now, it is up to the road on the back river and only the tallest of the sea oats remain above it.

I was standing there marveling at its majesty when Goddess spies an egret. Goddess believes that she can catch anything, be it squirrels or egrets. She never does though but she never stops trying.

So as I stand there contemplating the marsh and the ocean and being lost at sea and a light rain falls on my face, Goddess takes off after the egret and almost pulls my arm out of its socket. I cuss and pull back but she is so strong that she drags me along after the bird which is now flying over the marsh.

I love this dog. She never stops trying in spite of impossible odds or in spite of repeated failure.

That is how I am feeling today. Nothing else to do except try again. Make this house a home for when we need it. Fill it with good things so that when people come they enjoy it. And there are many who love this place. It is a place that can renourish the soul and over the years a lot of people have come here for that.

And it reminds me that today, I've got to let my soul shine. It's better than sunshine. It's better than moonshine. It's damn sure better than rain.

No comments:

Post a Comment