Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Sharing my misplaced heart with strangers

Dinner last night was at Finemondo's, a very elegant Italian place near the Capitol. Herb McKenzie, former Board Chairman of Union Mission, Lauren Milmine and I were being hosted by Robert Hurt, of Hurt, Noton & Associates, Inc. They are a very successful lobbying firm and we were introduced by our friends in Chatham County government.

Over dinner, Herb explained the reason that we are here. We are looking for funds so that Union Mission can complete its stabilization and expand what it does for the folks back home. The uninsured, under-insured, homeless, sick, unemployed and those who have nowhere else to turn.

Bob and his folks listened intently then peppered us with questions about our story. Near the end, Bob looked at me and said, "That's quite the blog! So you really don't want to be here."

I was taken aback. It is true yesterday I wrote about my heart really isn't in this trip. It is misplaced and I seem to be having a difficult time finding my rhythm. I know that a lot of people read by blog and many of my friends comment about it every day on my Face Book page. But I was meeting these folks for the first time and they had arranged this trip on our behalf and there I am claiming that I have arrived with a misplaced heart.

Well, at least we got off to an honest start.

In a little while, Carol Holladay will arrive to pick us up and take us to their offices for a final briefing. Then we are off to the Capitol to meet with our Senators and Congressional staffs. Then it is to the Departments of Health & Human Services, Labor and H.U.D. It will be a packed day.

Hopefully we will achieve some success. So I suppose that I should fill the hole in my chest with determination where my heart should be and get on with it. There are so many desperate and hurting people who need us to be successful. Sometimes you just have to do the things that you have to do. So lets get on with it shall we?

No comments:

Post a Comment