Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Doing What We Must

As soon as I stumbled into the Breakfast Club this morning and heard the blues blasting over the sound system, I knew that Jodee didn't want to be there today. I can always tell by the music that he is playing. If it's the blues, he doesn't want to work. If it's New Age, he's in a funky place by himself. If it is hard rock-and-roll, he's mad at something. If it's oldies, then its good times.

But today its the blues and while he didn't want to, he was there, showing off his smile, somehow making carrot flavored bacon, and a thousand other culinary delights for those who will order them today.

I settled onto my stool for after grabbing a cup of coffee for myself and the place filled with warmth and good smells. Johnny O came in and did the same. As did Whitley and we bantered and laughed with everyone there which is the way we all start every day. It is a family tradition with a carnival of friends.

Then it was off for my run. The cold here is bitter which is unusual and as I made my way down the beach, I saw that the sun had wrapped itself in a blanket of clouds that it seemed to be having a hard time climbing out of them. Checking the clock on my I-Pod, I could have sworn it to be true that the sun had slept in and was five minutes late rising. The cold had gotten to it to, but here it was rising anyway, doing something that it would rather not be doing but doing it because it is the right thing to do.

And I am off to Union Mission where everyone of our programs is extended beyond capacity as we house as many as we can, treat patient after patient, counsel client after client, and doing all of those things that Scriptures tell us to do. Feeding the hungry, Clothing the naked. Housing the Homeless. Day in and day out. Year after year after year.

There are days when we'd rather be doing other things. Happier things! I have watched many a person collapse under the weight of the never ending need that presents itself at our doors. They tried their best and gave their all, but hearts can only bear so much.

So those of us who remain have found ways to continue feeding our hearts with enough happy things to bear all of the sadness that we must manage day in and day out. For me it is kissing Julie good morning while she still sleeps, coffee at the Breakfast Club and laughing with my friends, saying good morning to the sun as it rises over the ocean, walking Goddess along back river, and then taking this time to think and reflect.

And now it is time to go. As much as I'd rather be doing other things today, it is cold outside and our places our full, and more will come and I have to do the things that I am supposed to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment