Friday, January 15, 2010

Helping Haiti

As soon as I logged on my computer yesterday I had a message from my friend Dr. Jose Vargas-Vidot. He is a winner of the Robert Wood Johnson's Community Health Leadership Award and lives in San Juan. He practices street medicine there and is something of a national hero as a champhion of the poor. He also practices in other South American nations where health care is lacking.

So of course he is off to Haiti. He wrote me asking if I could help collect donations of tarps, generators, medical supplies, water and such. How could I not? The disaster in Haiti is of Biblical proportions.

Then, I learn that Dr. Jim Withers of Pittsburgh's Operation Safety Net is also heading down there to help too. Jim is also a Community Health Leader and a good friend.

So we are putting out a call to all of Union Mission and to all of our friends. If you are in a position to help, please help.

Keller Deal in our office 912-236-7423 is collecting the things to send to Haiti. I vouch for Dr. Vargas!

From the way that it looks, it will take all of us doing whatever we can to help Haiti.

Tank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment