Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Charles's Christmas

Charles was cleaning the office as always does, talking to himself, wearing his threadbare clothes and flip flops that don't really cover much of anything. For ten years now Charles has emptied the trash cans and mopped the floors and really does a fine job. The only issue is that Charles does these things when he wants to do them regardless of anything else that is going on. So I can be having a meeting and this six foot tall black man, wanders in with his eyes half closed and mumbling to himself, and empties the trash. None of us at Union Mission think much of it and will wish him a good morning, though the visitors may be alarmed when he comes in.

This is my 10th Christmas with him. Over the years we have given him clothes, shoes, gift cards, coffee, and candy. Charles loves coffee and candy. The other things that we give him are stored away in his locker, rarely to be used. I approached him once asking why he refused to wear the brand new coat that Julie and I had bought him. Instead he was wearing a ripped one that had the lining exposed.

"Uh, no sir," he explained, "this one still has good life left in this one."

I didn't know how to respond though over the years I have come to embrace Charles's attitude of holding on to things that I think are dear.

Anyway Joy came into my office and told me that it was time to give Charles his Christmas presents. He was emptying trash cans and we made him stop and laid out the wrapped presents on Jeanette's desk. At first, he began simply picking them up so that he could take them away and open them privately.

We made him stop and open each one in front of us. And received a treasure chest full of instant coffee and candy. We've given up on getting him to change his clothes.

I'm not certain that Charles thinks much about Christmas. I do know that he is aware that it is happening, but I don't think that he dwells much on the spirit of the season. Instead, his routine is only interrupted when we make him stop and receive presents. He mumbles thanks and then resumes emptying the trash while Christmas takes place all around him.

I hope that one day Charles embraces Christmas or that one day Christmas embraces him. And that he can acknowledge the vast amount of love that surrounds him. But in the meantime I hope that he enjoys his coffee and his candy.

Merry Christmas Charles. I love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment