Thursday, December 10, 2009

So Far To Go

It is cold in Atlanta. I have made the way from my warm bed on the 45th floor of the Marriott, with a panoramic view of the city which is dotted with Christmas trees and the steady flow of traffic on the interstates below. In the dark, the traffic looks like an endless fast paced parade of lights. Looking down on it, the city appears beautiful.

Walking to the subway though I encounter the not-so-lovely aspects of Atlanta. Peachtree and Pine is the warehouse of human beings that is operated by the Atlanta Task Force for the Homeless. Surrounding it are those who could not fit inside and their heads lay on the possessions, laying in the fetal position, shivering in the morning.

The escalator transports me underground and I join the masses who are coming or going to work. We wait on the train and the tracks are lined with trash. I note dirty diapers and wonder why mothers would change their baby and discard the pampers that way rather than use the trash can.

The train arrives and we are welcomed into the mass of comers-and-goers who arrived before we did. Collections of friends talk loudly and laugh. Many just stare straight ahead. And the homeless try not to be seen as they sleep. When we reach the airport, which is the end of the line, they do not exit the train, but sleep until they are told to move. Then they shuffle across the station to wait on the next train so that they can do it all again.

I am here because of these people. I spent yesterday on the 26th floor of 2 Peachtree Street which is filled with the bureaucrats who run this state. We discussed the status of the numerous programs that are in some state of implementation. It is an honor to be a member of such a group though as I made my way through the streets of Atlanta this morning I wondered if we are managing successful battles while we lose a war.

I am glad to be returning to Savannah which is beautiful from the ground level as well as from on high. There are pockets of people who sleep in fetal positions there too but they hide under bridges and there are not as many. Back there, I know that the we are making progress in the battles that we are fighting. The numbers speak for themselves. An entire homeless population has access to health care. Hundreds find meaningful work and buy their way out of homelessness. Those who need supportive environments to end their homelessness do so through our housing programs.

Savannah makes me proud of how far we have come. Atlanta reminds me of how far we have to go.

1 comment:

  1. Atlanta, my hometown....the vision you painted reminds me of many cold nights in my old neighborhood when stopping by midtown Kroger and being approached by a person, a family or a teen asking for food, money or seeking shelter from the weather. Sometimes I helped, sometimes I couldn't; however those days I wasn't aware of what services may or may not have been availble in the community. One of the many things that I'm most proud of Savannah is the sharing of information - people know where to send someone in need - agencies, like Union Mission work with other service providers in an effort to become part of the solution rather than turning their heads or pointing fingers. Thank you for all you, your staff and volunteers do everyday!!

    ReplyDelete