Friday, December 4, 2009

What A Difference!

I was seated at the head table of the Chamber of Commerce's annual Eggs and Issues Breakfast for the third consecutive year. I have the R-E-V in front of my name, am pretty active in the Chamber and always attend the kick off to the state legislative season anyway. It must be for convenience that I am asked as there aren't too many ministers who attend the Chamber's political functions.

Anyway, as I was driving to the Westin Harbor Resort, crossing the Talmadge Bridge, I peered at the entire City below me. Church spirals shot above the massive green oak trees proclaiming the holiness of a green city that holds its traditions dear. The Savannah River was making its way to the ocean and the shops of River Street held watch over the massive tankers making their way into the ports. This is a beautiful place to live and work.

Then I was suddenly struck by a time when I did not think things were so beautiful. One year ago, things were bad. A collaborative that I had invested years in had exploded and was front page news. The strain and stress of trying to hold the collaborative together was wearing me out and leaving me exhausted. At the same time I was experiencing the very public betrayal of a partner that I had trusted for more than a decade. I felt as though I was living in a fishbowl and the entire City was watching and commenting on everything that I was doing.

And while all of this was happening, Trip Tollison called and asked me to again deliver the invocation at the Eggs and Issues breakfast. 500 Community leaders again gathered and I was seated at the head table beside the delegation of state representatives. Senator Eric Johnson, now running for Governor, and I quietly talked about everything that was happening at Union Mission while we ate. Then I was introduced and said a prayer and led the assembly in the Pledge of Allegiance.

As I drove across the bridge, seeing the city, and remembering that experience, I realized what a power symbol it was at that time. While I may have stumbled, I had not fallen. I had friends in high places who still believed in what we were doing. The Chamber was expressing that friendship. It was a humbling and powerful realization.

So yesterday I sat next to Senator Lester Jackson and we laughed and cut up throughout breakfast. This was much more of a celebration than the previous experiences. I spoke to many of the hundreds gathered personally and the vibe was one of comrades and friendship.

Then I thought of all of the other friends who had reached out throughout the past year. I expressed gratitude to the Union Mission Board of Directors who stood fast and made miracles happen. The Union Mission staff who kept working throughout the trauma, doing what they do best, which is making the entire City a better place to be. And all of my friends who reached out and expressed their love through small gestures and grand expressions.

Driving to the office after the breakfast, I couldn't but help think what a difference a year makes. Then I realized that it wasn't the year that made the difference. It was the friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment