Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Follow Your Bliss

I was returning phone calls and two of the people that I spoke to asked me to call a friend who has seperated from his wife. I hadn't spoken to him in a couple of years and felt that if he needed to talk to me that he would call. After mentioning it to Julie, she told me that I was being silly and should call just in case. So I did.

He anwered and I immediately launched into the story of when I was seperated from my wife many years ago. I walked into the Breakfast Club and was feeling pretty low. Bruce, the waiter and dear friend, came over and sat on the stool beside me. He laid his arm around my shoulder.

"Thank you Micheal," he said.

"For what?" I asked not having any idea.

"For being the subject of everybody's conversation so that I don't have to be anymore."

I burst into laughter and it became another source of the friendship that he and I had.

Anyway I shared it on the phone and said now everybody is talking about you!

We laughed and agreed to get together soon. As we were finishing up the conversation I was asked if I have read Joseph Campbell, which I have, and the talk ended with both of us agreeing with the author, you have to follow your bliss.

Another way of saying this is we have to get our happiness where we can find it. But that means going on a search for it. We make happiness, or love, or bliss. Rarely do these things happen without iniative on our part.

And I do not beleive that we can ever stop. Those who do end up living in the past which is a very unhappy place. Those who are happy are always trying to be happy. Those who are the most loved are forever making love for others. Ands those who touch bliss do so because they never stop trying.

No comments:

Post a Comment