Monday, May 10, 2010

No Focus On Monday

The day had just begun and I had stumbled through the door marked "Exit Only", poured myself a cup of coffee and sat on my normal stool. Whitley was followed by Johnny O who greeted Justin with his customary one finger wave and yelled out a verb followed by a pronoun. The day seemed to be starting as it normally does.

Then in walked a dude wearing only shorts. His white body had red splotches all over it as a result of a haphazard application of sun screen. Blond hair was filled with sand. He was having trouble standing still.

"I need a cigarette!" he bellowed. "And I have to be in court by 9:00."

His words were slurred but we understood enough to break out into laugher.

"No body here smokes," Justin lied. And the dude left.

Then Johnny O asked me if I had seen Dean yesterday. I had not. "Well, Jake asked him if he had shot his sofa and made a shirt out of it."

Now that's an image.

On my run down the beach, I notice the large number of Jelly Fish that have washed ashore. Normally this time of year, only the non-stinging Canon Balls litter the beach, but I see only the bright colored stingers that usually show up in July and August. I wonder why.

Then I take Goddess for her walk while I cool down from the run. My neighbor Art walks up with treats for the pup and a gift for me. He had taken yesterday's newspaper which had announced this year's Cotillion Club debutantes. There were nine beautiful girls pictured. He drawn another box and wrote in it "Picture not available". Underneath he had written "Elliott". I burst out laughing.

A couple of weeks ago, Art had an oyster roast and as it began he stood and thanked everyone for coming to Micheal's Cotillion Party. "He's finally coming out," he had quipped.

And now I can't get the song "Sweet Soul Sister" out of my head. Yesterday on Mother's Day, my daughters spent the day with their Dad. Driving back from brunch with my Mom, the two of them sang the song to the top of their lungs with happy glee. They really sucked and when I told them they sang it again. So I guess that I understand why so many Mom's don't make a big deal out of Mother's Day.

So this Monday is beginning slightly out of focus. And there is no point to this blog. And I have to go to work. And I would much prefer to hang out on the beach with my sweet soul sister.

No comments:

Post a Comment