Monday, May 3, 2010

Low Tide

As I topped the sand dune, I saw that it is low tide and the exposed ocean floor seems to go on forever. It is barren looking and empty and the sea seems to be miles away. I keep running across the lifeless wet sand and then suddenly and unexpectedly, the life seems to get sucked out of me too and I stop.

Sweat pours down my face and I catch my breath. I curse. Then I sit down in the wet sand and lay my heart down beside me. The sun sparkles on the ocean and I want to be a part of that but it is so far away from where I am. I am surrounded by emptiness.

My heart is dark and brusied but I notice that it is getting its color back and it continues to beat through I could have sworn it had stopped. I fall backwards in the wet sand and let the barren emptiness engulf me.

"It is ok," I tell myself.

And I think about all of the love that used to be here, like a full ocean teaming with life. Now it is at low tide and the love is elsewhere. I used to hang on her every word but now her words have no meaning behind them. They are empty and barren. I am numb as I read them.

I refuse to stay here. I get up and put my heart back in. Then I race to the sea and the sun and when I get there I will dance upon the water. And I will not look back.

No comments:

Post a Comment