Thursday, April 22, 2010

No Day But Today

Last night I was at the old Washington Hotel which is now a "W". We were having dinner at J&G's Steakhouse, which is fine dinning experience in what is one of D.C.'s newest trendy spots. The discussion was politics and today's agenda which has us bouncing around the Capitol, beginning with a breakfast with Senator Isakson, dancing through the Departments of Energy, Transportation, H.U.D. and ending late today with Congressman Barrow.

But there was this moment last night when I visited the past. Back in 2001, when it was still the Washington Hotel, I stayed there. I was In D. C. to receive an award from the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation. Ten of us were being honored as "Community Health Leaders" which is full of recognition and a $100,000 in cash to support whatever it was that I wanted to support.

With me was Julie, Joe Bridges, Melanie Finnacario, Elana Lee, Judy, and Ben and Bettye Barnes. Specifically, it was because of the creation of the J. C. Lewis Health Center that I was honored.

So anyway there was this moment last night when I remembered a reception in the room where we were having dinner and I met Dr. Jose Vargas-Vidot, who is a dear friend to this day. And Sharon Robashach who is amazing. And it was the first time that Union Mission danced on the national stage.

I smiled as I remembered the awards ceremony at the National Press Club. I thought of how close we were then. Everything seemed special. Everything seemed possible.

Then the conversation turned back to today's politics and I tapped my fingers on the table and fired questions as though they were from a machine gun. It is all about today. That is all that I have. That is all that you have. The past is dead and gone and while I may visit there from time to time it is no place that I want to stay. And I really like what I am now. And what Union Mission is now. It was good then. It is far better now.

Tomorrow is full of hope and I certainly have a lot of that. For healing hands to continue their magic ways. For good times with my friends. For the University of Georgia to win another SEC championship. For more beach time. For a Union Mission that rocks and rolls on a cylinders. For good times with the kids.

But tomorrow may never come in spite of my hopes. Today on the other hand is here. And it is time to grab it by the neck and enjoy the hell out of it. Because there is no day but today.

No comments:

Post a Comment