Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Replacing a Misplaced Heart

The last time that I went to Washington D. C. my heart had been misplaced and I really didn't want to be there. And I spent an evening and a day boucing around the Capitol in three-quarters time like I was sleep walking. Somehow, I pulled it together enough to say the right things when it was my turn but I was mostly sad and tired.

There was one moment at H.U.D. when I seemed to snap to life and engage in a vigorous conversation, but I faded fast.

Herb McKenzie, Laurene Milmine, Carol Holloday and Jane Talley spent most of their time propping me up. They were all very kind.

That was in January. Today I am heading back and am ready to kick ass! I found my misplaced heart and laid it in some healing hands. It is different from the one that I used to have, but like the beach which changes a little every day, it remains somehow the same too. It has gone through some dark places and survived. It is fuller somehow.

This morning at the Breakfast Club, my extended family wanted to know where I am off to now. I told them and the topic was immediately changed by Val to something that she considered much more important.

"Just what in the hell did yesterday's Face Book status update mean?"

It was "Micheal had a near perfect day until the blister in the sun. Big hands you know you're the one."

This led to vigorous debate on their part over what it meant. Denise though "Big Hands" is God. Val wondered if it was somebody else. I smiled with my filled heart and left them still debating. I am sure that we will pick right back up when I return.

But now it is back to D. C. with Herb, Laurene, Carol and Jane. It will be much different this time. I have my heart back. Washington be warned!

No comments:

Post a Comment